Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Yellow Curry Chicken

This recipe calls for every unused thing in my refrigerator: cauliflower, carrots, onions, plain yogurt, and I don't know about you, but these days I pretty much can't live without fresh cilantro in the house at all times! Oh and when was the last time I actually used those raisins in the pantry? Today is the day...

This curry tastes so authentic and it's made of only regular ingredients from a mega chain superstore! Find a "curry" spice blend that is yellow in color -easy! This one from McCormick is nice ...and not at all hot like the name implies. My husband describes it as "subtle and delayed". Tumeric adds tons of bright yellow color, and a bit of flavor. But if you don't have it in your collection yet, I guess you can omit it. With tumeric I could go either way.

Uh...this is not the greatest photo, but you get the idea. Yellowy!!

My 9 year old gives it two thumbs up and 4/5 stars! Husband says it's my best creation yet!! They love the chicken's texture, which comes from marinating in acidic yogurt all day.

Give it a try!

Oh and yes, we do eat on paper plates. Most nights of the week. (I have 7 kids... what can I say?)


Yellow Curry Chicken

Into the crockpot for 8 hours, low heat (4 hours on high):
  • chicken 1 1/2 lb (boneless, skinless breast or thigh meat)
  • cauliflower 1 small head chopped (potatoes work too!)
  • onion 1 small sliced
  • carrots 4-6 sliced
  • plain yogurt 1 1/4 cup
  • garlic 2-4 tsp crushed or minced
  • buttery spread 1/2 c (Smart Balance, Canola Harvest)
  • cornstarch 2 Tb
  • kosher salt 2 tsp
  • black pepper 1 tsp
  • sugar 2 Tb
  • curry powder (yellow) 3 tsp
  • cayenne pepper, to taste
  • tumeric 1/2 tsp
  • raisins 1/2 c
  • water 1 c
Before serving add:
  • cilantro (produce aisle) 1/2 c finely chopped
Serve over noodles, lettuce, or basmati rice (also found at the mega chain superstore!)

To make life easier, add chicken straight from the package (no cutting) and break it up before serving. I also chop frozen chicken into large chunks for a rustic feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment